If you’re not familiar with the story of Romanian Nationalist leader, Corneliu Codreanu, or the Iron Guard; then read up on it! Here’s the intro paragraph from Metapedia:
Corneliu Zelea Codreanu born Corneliu Zelinski (September 13, 1899 – November 30, 1938) was a Romanian Nationalist and founder of the Legion of Michael the Archangel, an organization also called the Iron Guard (Garda de Fier). Codreanu was a dedicated fighter for the Romanian nation as well as a devout Christian. He had begun his battle against the Jewish-Communist menace as a member of the Guard of National Conscience and later as a member of Cuza’s National Christian Defense League. Finally, he broke from Cuza’s party in 1927 and formed the Legion of Michael the Archangel, which quickly attracted many young nationalists. The Legion immediately developed a revolutionary doctrine centered around Christian spirituality, national affection, sacrifice, hierarchy, and personal responsibility in order to eradicate political corruption and purify the nation. Enduring heavy persecution in the years in which the Legion grew in popularity, Corneliu Codreanu was eventually imprisoned and murdered in 1938 by the dictatorship of King Carol II. After his death, the Legionary Movement, still dedicated to his teachings, would establish the National Legionary State as well as continue its battles against its enemies beyond the end of World War II.
More on Metapedia: http://en.metapedia.org/wiki/Corneliu_Zelea_Codreanu
The song doesn’t cut off in this video:
Great quotes from Corneliu Codreanu:
- “The country is dying because of a lack of men, not a lack of programs.”
- “From this Legionary school a new man will have to emerge, a man with heroic qualities; a giant of our history to do battle and win over all the enemies of our Fatherland, his battle and victory having to extend even beyond the material world into the realm of invisible enemies, the powers of evil. Everything that our mind can imagine as more beautiful spiritually; everything the proudest that our race can produce, greater, more just, more powerful, wiser, purer, more diligent and more heroic, this is what the Legionary school must give us! A man in whom all the possibilities of human grandeur that are implanted by God in the blood of our people be developed to the maximum. This hero, the product of Legionary education, will also know how to elaborate programs; will also know how to solve the Jewish problem; will also know how to organize the state well; will also know how to convince other Romanians; and if not, he will know how to win, for that is why he is a hero. This hero, this Legionary of bravery, labour, and justice, with the powers God implanted in his soul, will lead our Fatherland on the road of its glory.”
- “Legionary life is beautiful, not because of riches, partying or the acquisition of luxury, but because of the noble comradeship which binds all Legionaries in a sacred brotherhood of struggle.”
- “Its culture: the fruit of its life, the product of its own efforts in thought and art. This culture is not international. It is the expression of the national genius, of the blood. The culture is international in its brilliance but national in origin. Someone made a fine comparison: bread and wheat may be internationally consumed, but they always bear the imprint of the soil from which they came.”
Above: Codreanu with his wife Elana
“Dear comrade in arms,
after 15 years of battles, persecutions and sacrifices,
Romania’s youth must know
that the hour of the Legionaire victory isn’t far.
All of our enemies attempts will be crushed.
All plans of tempting us,
All attempts at buying our souls,
All attempts of seperating us,
and all treasons will fall to the ground.
Look at them, at your tyrants,
straight in their eyes.
Endure with submission all blows,
endure all pains,
whatever they may be,
because our sacrifices will be the iron foundation
made from broken bodies
and from tortured souls,
of our Victory.
Those, among us, who will fall
will have names and tombs of heroes,
and those who will kill us
will bear the names of traitors
and will be cursed from generation to generation.
From the depths
the Legionnaire rises victorious with his rock-like soul.
Those who think they can defeat him…
as well as those who think they can buy him…
will soon, but too late…
Come to the conclusion…
that they were wrong.”
- “Wherever the Legionary’s hand and soul show up, a garden appears.”
- “The Politician’s goal is to build a fortune, ours is to build our homeland flowering and strong. For her we will work and we will build. For her we will make each Romanian a hero, ready to fight, ready to sacrifice, ready to die.”
- “A nation lives forever through its concepts, honour, and culture. It is for these reasons that the rulers of nations must judge and act not only on the basis of physical and material interests of the nation but on the basis of the nation’s historical honour, of the nation’s eternal interests. Thus: not bread at all costs, but honour at all costs.”
It is an honour to share the same birthdate as this great man!
September 13th is my 30th birthday…. Codreanu was born exactly 84 years before me.
Heil Codreanu, Heil the Iron Guard!
(All the pictures are from the Metapedia article….)